Mother Yourself Back to Health

"She held herself until the sobs of the child inside subsided entirely. I love you, she told herself. It will all be okay." 
~ Raven Rose

As most of you know I just spent the past weekend on Wolfe Island leading the Body + Bliss retreat with 27 courageous, Loving, and wise women.

It was, as always, such an honour to share some of my teachings on a more personal and deeper level then I get to in public classes.

Retreat settings are where my Soul thrives. 


For one of the morning meditations I shared a practice I have been doing every single day for quite a while now ~ developing an Inner Mother/Daughter relationship and how they could too. 

It was powerful to say the least and many of the women came up after to thank me. 

This is by far THE most important relationship we have and need to attend to it daily like any other relationship we have. 

I talked about our Inner Child in my musing "Something I have Never Shared Before" and highly recommend reading it if you haven't heard of your Inner Child or want to discover some ways you can tend to her. 

All women have the same nurturing, caring, and motherly instinct and doesn't have to necessarily be for or towards children. 

We can mother our business, a book, our home, fur babies, aging parents, students, and community. 

Just today I was buying binders for my upcoming Advanced Vinyasa Flow Training and the man behind me in line said "wow, how many kids do you
have?!"

Without hesitation I answered "20!"

Since I don't have my own children, I focus my motherly energy on birthing beautiful, successful, and wise yoga teachers. 

Between Sacred Movement, my one on one mentoring, and advanced training's, I have hundreds of kids running around!

So this is a perfect example of how we have the instinct, built in intelligence, and call towards Mothering, yet I would not be able to do what I am doing as effectively without knowing how to mother myself. 

It came to me a few years ago while sitting on a beach in Mexico. I was in a women's yoga teacher training with one of my teacher's and had just finished meditation. 

At the time I was running Journey of the Yogini, my philanthropic business, and trying to be a full time yoga teacher. 

I was burning out, and quickly. 

As I sat on the beach I heard a whisper. 

My inner wise woman said "it's time to stop mothering Journey of the Yogini and start mothering yourself."

I have been on a mission to do just that since that day. 

One of the first steps was to let go of JOY and start focusing on my health, well being, and passion for teaching yoga for women. 

Since then there have been many other ways I have learnt to mother myself and it has changed my life in immense ways for the better, over and over again. 

The meditation I shared on identifying + amplifying your own Inner Mother/Daughter relationship can be found in the book Taming Your Outer Child. 
(I talk about this revolutionary and extraordinary piece of writing here

I highly recommend you get a copy and start today. 

As women it can be so easy, ingrained even, to put ourselves last, to diminish our needs and desires, and make others of highest priority, but by doing so we neglect the sweet + needing child within who craves our attention. 

If she doesn't get it she acts like any other child would/does, by acting out in ways that don't benefit, aren't healthy, and ultimately sabotage our greatest intentions. 

Knowing, caring for, and loving you Inner Child by being a better mother to yourself is the most courageous act of self care there is, and the most beneficial. 

So try this for a little glimpse in to how you can better Mother yourself right now:

Sit comfortably. Place your left hand on your heart. 

Imagine that the smallest version of you, that you remember and can picture, lives snuggled right in the center. 

Tell Little You that you are here now and willing to listen to her needs. 
Ask her: "what are you feeling right now?"

Once, as a mother, you feel she is
really finished letting you know, tell her: "I am going to take good, good care of you Little. I am here now. I love you so much and unconditionally. Tell me what would you like for me to do to help you feel better?"
(If she is feeling happy, excited, or any other positive emotion ask her "how can I help you stay feeling this way today?")

Once she lets you know say "thank you Little for letting me know your needs and I promise to do that for you. I love you and care for you and will take very good care of you."

Then, because you can't break promises to children, follow through on your word and carry out that action,
today!

It doesn't matter how silly, crazy, or boring you might "think" it is.
May this serve you,
Megan Xx
Find out more about Megan and receive 10 {FREE} Ten Minute Meditations {HERE}
Heal + Transform Women's Retreat

Join Megan for a unique Weekend Retreat!

A of weekend of kundalini, flow, yin, plyometrics, calisthenics, meditation, silence, and rest.

Sacred movement. 
Expect miracles.                                 
                                
Eager Beaver Now Available

June 16-18, 2017

Comments

Popular Posts