Radical Rest + Art of Dying

Ola Beautiful Tribe!

Well, it couldn't be more fitting that I muse today on Radical Rest and how Savasana can change our lives (believe it or not, more powerfully than any asana!) while I sit on the beach in Nicaragua fully embodying the symbolism behind it. 
My yearly, month long Life Savasana has begun. 

Savasana (corpse pose) changed my life a long time ago and continues to do so. 

Most of you know my story by now, but in case you don't or have forgotten, it was in savasana during my very first yoga class ever that my life changed... for the better. 

Recently out of a relationship, heartbroken, not well mentally, emotionally, or physically I landed on a yoga mat after much encouragement by my mother.
Although it felt great to practice, it was when I laid down for savasana that it occurred to me that it was the first time I had taken an hour to focus on myself in years. 

I had been neglecting my body, mind, and soul in order to take care of someone else's. 

It was also in that pause, the time out, that I knew in the depths of my heart that I needed to know more about this ancient art of living and when I got home signed up for my first teacher training (that was also my first really powerful memory of connecting and listening to my 'hut')

During savasana we practice the art of dying. 
We do this so we learn how to live better. 
And when we live better we can die better. 

We lay still, consciously relaxing our body, in turn our mind settles down, and our breathing softens and the pauses between breaths grow longer. 

Among the thousands of benefits physiologically, it is also symbol of something much larger..
Our willingness to let go of our old ways of doing and reawaken to a new way of Being. 

We might let go of our thoughts, fruits of the practice, a relationship, an experience, a pattern or habit.
Whatever it is we let go of we are then generating and creating space for something new to take its place. 

There is no better time of year to practice this pose... on and off the mat. 

Every year a symbolic death, an opportunity to let go of what worked and what didn't, and create space for what we would like to call in more of. 

On a larger scale, we also want to look at our lives and how this pose manifests its teachings daily too. 

When was the last time you took a Life Savasana?

This is a sacred break from work, responsibilities, roles, and doing to actually just let yourself Be. 
It's Radical Rest!
Our greatest challenge can be for the thoughts of impossibility to die away too. 

But, Life Savasana's allow us the space and time to reflect and connect with parts of our lives and selves that may be being neglected. 
Where may we need to make some shifts, changes, and perhaps find our way back to the primal desire to connect to the sacred or spiritual on a daily basis.

This is yet another way savasana has changed my life. 

It reminded me that I needed to take those sacred pauses throughout my year, at least twice, so that I can let go of everything and connect to some parts of myself that might get pushed to the side during hOMe life.... like my Inner Beach Bum/Do Nothing who doesn't nearly get as much attention as she deserves ;) 

It's why I am here, in Nicaragua, now. 

Through my daily practice, it reminds me to take a minimum twenty minute Life Savasana off the mat as well. 

Over the course of the past six months I have poured heart and soul into writing and developing potent teachings for the JOY Circle, so each day I made sure to step away from the Writer/Researcher/Teacher role and take a life savasana by walking Lola. 

It got my off the computer, out of the house, and in to Nature where it was quiet and Lola's slow pace made it so I would slow right down too. 

As I mentioned in last month's musing, Calm to the Core,(you can read that here), it was in these daily pauses that I source so much of my inspiration and continued connection to Mother Nature and her messages. 

As we prepare for a new year ahead, I ask you to sit with yourself for a moment and see how you might feel in to taking some Radical Rest and INjoying a Life Savasana this year. 

Take out your 2015 calendar and schedule it in. 
Every day. 
One full day a month. 
One week a year (more if its possible).

This potent pose has much to teach us beyond the physical. 

How will you create more space in 2015 to really Live Like You Mean It and begin to master the art of living?

el amor y la luz (love + light)
Megan Xx

If you enjoyed this article you will LOVE Megan's offerings!
Check them out at www.megancampbell.ca
Follow her on TwitterFacebook, or Instagram for daily inspiration. 

Comments

Popular Posts